Coherent Micro-X 577 nm 2 Watt Yellow Optically Pumped Semiconductor Laser - OPSL

A pure yellow pointer! That would be an awesome trade for sure. The DL Aurora is of equivalence so it is perfectly bright still.
Is it a single 18650?

1 Like

Uses two 18350, I think, I need to check again later today.

1 Like

Let me know what it uses, and Iā€™ll see if I have the batteries. I canā€™t remember if I have any hosts that use them already.

Iā€™ve tried hunting down a 1154nm diode. Need to look more later. They arenā€™t as readily available as I was anticipating. For 2W of output I would put a guess on needing at least 5-7W pump input power. When it comes to OPSLā€™s iā€™m not sure on their efficiencies. In theory they could have better efficiency than standard DPSSā€™s.

Same results I had looking for 1154, may be awhile but no biggie, I have time.

I confused the batteries needed for this host with the one used for my 411 nm pointer, this takes 3 X 18650 batteries. I had it stored away for two years now without looking at it, sealed in a zip lock bag with silicone bead packs. Still the same power, 7 to 8 mw. I completely forgot how huge this host is or that it required 3 batteries.

How could I forget this green host, IDK. The output is quite yellow, same as my 577 nm from what I can tell by eye.

1 Like

Wow, what a host. Thats from Rich isnā€™t it?

Yes, it might do more output I never tried to adjust the driver. I have another head doing 50 mw+ but not in a host.

I would probably leave it alone. However 20mW seems a reasonable ball park. Are these the ones that degrade?

Yes, that is why I keep it in a zip lock bag with silicone gel beads:.

1 Like

Ok, well that obviously has helped things if the output is the same and stable.

Yep, same, same. I had to use a 100 mw max power meter to get an accurate reading of the output.

1 Like

A stable and long lived output is more important to me than the power. So Iā€™ll probably leave it alone in that case. 7-8mW is still quite bright. And should still give a beam in a dark room.

Yes, once your eyes adjust :stuck_out_tongue: you can see a faint beam, a little. Not sure if Rich tried to get more out or just set the current and left it there without trying. Likely, this one just wonā€™t do more.

1 Like

Itā€™s likely that rich was just being sensible with the power output. Last thing he would want is to set it too high and have it burn out on you when you received it. It might be capable of more. 30-35mW was typical on these. I wouldnā€™t have it there as a portable though. If you say a faint beam is possible then Iā€™m happy. I just tried my Aurora 589 and that is a similar output and the beam is faintly visible on that too. 575 should also be brighter.

OK, perhaps it is brighter than I remember. I already put it back in the bag. Do you have a power meter which can be used to adjust and watch the output?

I may do. It stopped working a while back. But I havenā€™t checked it on a new ac transformer (the one you got for the 532). Might have to change the fuse if that isnā€™t the problem.

I have an old scientech 365

Using my Coherent FieldMax power meter with a 30 watt head, the power showed 12 mw or so, but it isnā€™t accurate that low, so I switched to a Thorlabs Optical Power Meter which uses a photodiode to more accurately measure the output at 7 to 8 mw.

I suppose if I can get mine working again and I should check it unaltered. If the reading is around 7-8mW, then I know my meter is accurate enough.

Iā€™m not sure, but I donā€™t think the scientech sensor is thermopile. But I canā€™t be 100% sure on that.

1 Like

If it is fast at reading, itā€™s not a thermopile, I think you have the same one I have in Alaska, in storage. I forget the model number, but is it a dark box with yellow LEDā€™s?

This is the exact one I bought.