Community Project: Solid State Dye Laser using PMMA (Acrylic/Perspex) [Pic Heavy]

@Laser_Project First spectrums coming up.

Very interesting spectrums on this sample. However I have another unknown branded sample which fascinates me more. I’ll share that later.

The laser pumped spectrum is overlayed on top of the solar spectrums. That way you can make sense of the materials initial spectrum.

Perspex® Lava Orange

Lava Orange

The thing to take note of here is even out of range of typical fluorescence you can still see weak peaks. More than just fluorescence is occurring.

Relative Intensity Spectrums

589 Relative Intensity Perspex® Lava Orange

Conclusion:

Findings show Perspex® Lava Orange is best pumped by 486nm. 486nm created the highest peak (59.5%) and the highest yield (451%) overall at 610nm output. Regardless of pump wavelength Perspex® Lava Orange outputs strongly between 602-610nm. The next best pump wavelength is 406nm with a peak (35%) at 605nm, and a yield of 389%. Both 406nm and 486nm are power limited within the hobby however. The best available high power pump source for this PMMA is 532nm.
Despite the lower yield of 154%, inputting more power allows strong obvious peaks. 532nm produced the second highest peak in my tests (40.5%). This proves 532nm is very effective still at exciting the fluorescent lines. Pumping with 532nm would be the equivalent of pumping with brute force. Alternatively, it may be possible to pump with a high power argon using the 488nm line. 522nm beats 532nm in yield, but it might of needed greater intensity in the test to make full use of it. The peak was rather weak despite having better efficiency. Emission can still be achieved using 589nm and 653nm. The yield however is below 100%. Lasing may be possible but would be inefficient and require a high lasing threshold. Strangely more lines are present however weak when pumped with longer wavelengths.

1 Like