Mystery crystal growth. More efficient DPSS process using KDP

Hi everyone, I have come across an article by NIST.
It has sparked interest in me as it could allow more efficient and higher power yielding for 532nm DPSS’s.
As well as the possibility of allowing more DPSS wavelengths to become a reality. They use KDP which is grown in a rather exotic way of which scientists can’t explain yet. Neither can they explain why it even works efficiently. :thinking:

This section of the article is good news for the future.

The team also suggests the rods could be stacked up like firewood, building a larger piece out of billions of the tiny filaments. Before they are stacked together they could be coated by a thin layer of conductive material that carries heat away, rendering them capable of handling repeated pulses of high-intensity laser light – potentially broadening their application range if a way can be found to stack them.

No more efficient but low power handling KTP. Instead high power handling, low cost and efficient KDP. We can only dream [image]

I am going to include links to both the NIST article and the paper it references. If anyone is interested in reading into the articles, feel free to report back your thoughts.

NIST Article
Paper

1 Like