Room temperature Orange Laser Diodes

Only a brief article but worth sharing I thought. Orange laser diodes are becoming a reality at room temperature using AlGaInP. Won’t be long and we’ll be seeing true yellow laser diodes also.
I wonder how long it will be before companies like Sharp get their hands on these?

Anyway, the wavelengths generated at the moment are 599 and 605nm.

Nice colours. :slight_smile:

Here is the article: VI Systems develops novel yellow laser diode emitting at 599 to 605 nm | Laser Focus World

1 Like

Wow Curtis, you sure have your ear to the ground, so to speak, to find so much interesting information to post about lately. I’d be very pleased to see cheaper yellow, or yellow laser diodes, but that goes without saying. I see the article isn’t new this year, but new to me!

1 Like

I believe we will eventually see yellow/orange diodes available. It’s quite interesting that we have seen a new range of DPSS’s in the lime green- yellow gap. We have to remember that DPSS green came before diode green, so lets hope.

1 Like

Seems a yellow diode can allow a sodium clock somehow, I guess with sodium gas. 10 to the negative16 accuracy in a small package is so awesome. All of our watches can then run without needing to adjust them ever again.

I can see yellow laser diodes having a good market. Small package and reliable yellow/orange emission will be a game changer. Laser cooling research may very well push for high stability narrow linewidth 589nm diodes.

Something else to bear in mind depending on the semiconductor material, is the ability for wavelength tuning that isn’t possible via dpss and gas mediums.

1 Like